Saturday 7 March 2015

Building your good Karma

This is a clip that has been around for a while, and still makes me sob like a baby. ( http://www.upworthy.com/a-boy-stole-stuff-for-his-mom-and-it-paid-off-for-the-shopkeeper-in-the-end?c=ufb2 )

For me (Mary Ann), this just hit home harder than most clips. As a kid when I was in Philippines there was one event that has stood out in my memory, more than others. My family had little food, and no rice. My mother asked me to walk to my relatives place and ask for a little bit of rice, they said no. I don't know why that was their response, I'm sure they all have their reasons, as we all struggled to make ends meet, but I remember the feeling of failure and disappointment that I couldn't help to get food for my family.

These struggles have not ceased today, in our modern world. In fact, in my own personal opinion, I would have to say the disparity between the rich and the poor, in the Philippines, as I'm sure would also be evident in other parts of the world, is far greater than it has ever been.

Whenever I visit family in the Philippines, there's a blind vision of "foreigners" and their rich family, as the conversion rate from Australian dollar to Peso is quite high and our dollar is able to buy more than their peso can. they don't see the struggle we have as we try and save to have a splurge vacation. I also observed that many people are so ingrained in their own struggles and almost refuse to see other peoples needs as being far more important than theirs.

I enjoy my time when I visit, but I am disheartened at the growing number of the homeless, those used in the slave trade to beg for money, sex slaves, drug racketing, The sad smiles that look up through dirty faces asking for money, food or help. You cannot give in as the money rarely stays with them, there's no guarantee that food, clothing or anything else that you give them will be theirs.

One night though I couldn't give in. Rick and I were out at a grocery store, that had a Macdonalds next to it, we had a couple of people with us, as we were buying a lot of food for a family get together the next day. A kid asked for money, I said no, but I wanted to buy him food, Rick and I bought him a cheese burger meal, but he wouldn't eat the cheese burger. We asked him why, he said he was going to take it home to his LOLA, which mean grandmother, as she hasn't eaten all day. After hearing this, I cried, I told him eat the cheeseburger and we'll buy you another meal to take home to her. He ate the burger. I felt so sincerely grateful to be able to help this child out. We bought him another two meals to take home with as well as giving him a few pesos to safely get home by jeep and not hitching on the back on them. As we finished out shopping, he was still there, and was almost kicked out by a security guard as the poor child was asked where did you get the food from, did you pay for it. He was being harassed by the guard. We stepped in and said we bought it for him. The guard backed off, smiled and walked away. We told the boy to go home now. It's a pity that we can rarely enjoy these moments without having our motives questioned or having the person we are helping also queried as to how they can afford to purchase what we have given them. A few months ago, just before Christmas, I had to visit the Fortitude Valley, in Brisbane, Queensland, and had a few spare dollars. I bought a frozen coke, as it was a hot day and a homeless Aboriginal lady asked if I could give her some change, I had plenty of change, but honestly told her I don't believe in giving change, but can offer her the drink I had just bought. She happily accepted it. And as I spoke to her I found out that she hadn't eaten all day. I said I'll be back in a little while, please don't move. I walked over to Red Rooster and bought some meals for her, I also asked for extra moist towelettes. As I felt the meal took forever to cook, I was worried that my new friend had been moved on already, luckily she was still there. I walked over and gave her the two meals, warning her that they were fresh from the fryer and were quite hot. She cried and thanked me. I was just happy to help. About a month ago, I saw her again, but only had a few dollars myself, but I gave her a hot dog. She didn't remember me, but I remembered her. That was enough for me. She happily accepted the hot dog and ate it straight away. Rick and I don't do these acts of kindness to received recognition, rather, we do it as we know what not having anything is like. Small random acts of kindness means more to you and the person you are helping, than all the "Likes", "Views" or "Comments" that social media can receive as gratitude is far more fulfilling for the soul than recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment